Weapons Thread Responses

Do you wanna see a new map? Cool zed idea? Want weapons or models? We can read all about it.
Emptybag

Weapons Thread Responses

Postby Emptybag » Wed Oct 25, 2017 3:00 am

postal_ech wrote::Insert Rebuttal Here:
Starting new thread in a spot where it makes sense.

Response:
Emptybag wrote:We wanted (and still want) the focus to be on normal, everyday civilian life. And yes, while it is more realistic everyone turns into Rambo and tugs around 350 guns and ammunition, that's essentially the same as everyone being active military.
That's not the situation we want people placed in, and people are still getting better things as it goes on. RPing sniper fire is impossible for people that aren't admins on a large map. Where's the trajectory of the bullet? Sound from where? Also, you can't see PACs in scopes. There's a whole lot of reasons I never explained why it's complicated, but it is.
postal_ech

Re: Weapons Thread Responses

Postby postal_ech » Wed Oct 25, 2017 3:20 am

Emptybag wrote:
postal_ech wrote::Insert Rebuttal Here:
Starting new thread in a spot where it makes sense.

Response:
Emptybag wrote:We wanted (and still want) the focus to be on normal, everyday civilian life. And yes, while it is more realistic everyone turns into Rambo and tugs around 350 guns and ammunition, that's essentially the same as everyone being active military.
That's not the situation we want people placed in, and people are still getting better things as it goes on. RPing sniper fire is impossible for people that aren't admins on a large map. Where's the trajectory of the bullet? Sound from where? Also, you can't see PACs in scopes. There's a whole lot of reasons I never explained why it's complicated, but it is.
Well now I understand why it would be a bit of an impossibility to RP sniper fire. But when it does come to other weapons, when people obtain AR15's or AK-47's, etc, You won't instantly become like active military. There is the fact that, yeah, you won't know jack shit about the proper firing techniques, not to mention how to properly handle and care for said weapon. Parts and Ammo would indeed be a little harder to find due to the fact that, unless you're in a city that has an active Military Surplus store or two (like, for example, Colorado Springs) finding and maintaining military weapons would be harder than finding and maintaining civilian weapons, especially in certain states in and around the US. I know it sounds a bit like elitism, but there are always way to put some counterbalances to people and factions that start obtaining military gear, such as the increased activity of Infected and 'Special Infected', replacements becoming more and more of a rarity, etc. plus, you will reach a certain point where the civilian lifestyle will end in an apocalypse as time goes on. The Civilian Lifestyle won't really last long if you keep to it during an apocalypse, and if you do choose to stay in said lifestyle, chances are a militarized group of bandits, or another faction, will easily be able to eliminate them.

so for TL:DR: I understand that Sniper RP doesn't mean jack shit due to this being GMod and not something like ARMA 3. There are ways to balance finding military gear without saturating the server with them, like increased infected activity and what not. Even then, though, in a more realistic situation you will not survive if you stick to a civilian lifestyle, as other groups will be striving towards obtaining the best gear they can get in order to either keep their shit well-defended, or move on to take other forms of shit.

It's fine that you do want to focus on the civi lifestyle, but the way I see it that can only go so far before it either dulls the RP, or it just turns into an unrealistic situation. Personally I loved how the server started out, it felt like exactly what would happen when shit would hit the fan, and the process that goes down soon after. Stuff like that is what attracted me to this RP, and I hope it does stay that way.
Emptybag

Postby Emptybag » Wed Oct 25, 2017 3:51 am

We'll keep chugging along how we've been unless we've no reason not to. People have ARs and BRs, rifles and shottys. I just don't want everyone having them
Can0fs0da12

Postby Can0fs0da12 » Wed Oct 25, 2017 12:13 pm

Ok, as someone's who play's a character that most of the group shits on for fucking up (In small amounts as of recent as he has been trying not to) you took away some of my guns so why not do the same to other and make the person prove their worth.

Why not just do that if you don't want everyone getting a gun?

I mean it's shitty to do but if you really want to control it so much.
ZergHunter
Site Admin

Postby ZergHunter » Wed Oct 25, 2017 1:46 pm

Can0fs0da12 wrote:Ok, as someone's who play's a character that most of the group shits on for fucking up (In small amounts as of recent as he has been trying not to) you took away some of my guns so why not do the same to other and make the person prove their worth.

I think again you're missing the points Empty is making. We don't want total control over everything that everyone has. But we are keeping a tight watch on what weapons are spawned and given out to people. This is to keep a balanced system in place so not everyone has everything all the time. There are a lot of powerful weapons in circulation already, and we add more as time goes as different rewards and such, however not everyone has super powerful snipers, or fully automatic rifles and such. (Plus Richard losing his weapons was his own fault.)

This has nothing to do with not wanting people to get a weapon, it has to do with keeping things balanced and interesting. If everyone suddenly had the most powerful equipment they can get, then having someone get a shotgun as a reward means nothing to that person if they've already got powerful military equipment. And then we're just throwing giant infected at them to get rid of their ammo or their weapons, which really isn't fun to constantly lose your stuff that you worked hard for. It's a tight rope that we walk along between giving things out, and saying no to things but we feel it's the most fair option we can do. We do our best to not play favorites when spawning stuff, but the more active people are obviously more likely to find things, or be involved in an event that offers a reward at the end.

And in response to Postal, yes as weapons are given out and people get more powerful equipment, the infected and challenge level is already going up. We work very hard to keep this balance between what the players have and what we throw at them. Maybe it would help for you to see what we do first hand, I know you're busy, which I understand and I appreciate you keeping up with the community here on the forums, I think it's great! But you said you like how we were doing it at the beginning when you were able to play, our methods have changed here and there but they've always followed these same principles and so far it seems to be making most people happy with that they get, but always looking for something else, which is what we want. And by this I mean, get on we miss you!
Can0fs0da12

Postby Can0fs0da12 » Tue Oct 31, 2017 12:16 pm

ZergHunter wrote:
Can0fs0da12 wrote:Ok, as someone's who play's a character that most of the group shits on for fucking up (In small amounts as of recent as he has been trying not to) you took away some of my guns so why not do the same to other and make the person prove their worth.

(Plus Richard losing his weapons was his own fault.)

And then we're just throwing giant infected at them to get rid of their ammo or their weapons, which really isn't fun to constantly lose your stuff that you worked hard for. It's a tight rope that we walk along between giving things out, and saying no to things but we feel it's the most fair option we can do. We do our best to not play favorites when spawning stuff, but the more active people are obviously more likely to find things, or be involved in an event that offers a reward at the end.
Sorry, I mean I agree Richard fucked up but he seems to be the only character you punished. Sorry if I come off as an asshole but I'm going to be assertive. It kind of does seem like you play favorites.

I worked hard to scavenge and trade for the glock while people like Carrie (Who yes did work hard for it, I assume) Aimed a gun at me and suffered no consequence.

It does kind of seem you play favorites in term of who get's punishment and who doesn't.
ZergHunter
Site Admin

Postby ZergHunter » Tue Oct 31, 2017 1:03 pm

Can0fs0da12 wrote:
ZergHunter wrote:

And then we're just throwing giant infected at them to get rid of their ammo or their weapons, which really isn't fun to constantly lose your stuff that you worked hard for. It's a tight rope that we walk along between giving things out, and saying no to things but we feel it's the most fair option we can do. We do our best to not play favorites when spawning stuff, but the more active people are obviously more likely to find things, or be involved in an event that offers a reward at the end.
Sorry, I mean I agree Richard fucked up but he seems to be the only character you punished. Sorry if I come off as an asshole but I'm going to be assertive. It kind of does seem like you play favorites.

I worked hard to scavenge and trade for the glock while people like Carrie (Who yes did work hard for it, I assume) Aimed a gun at me and suffered no consequence.

It does kind of seem you play favorites in term of who get's punishment and who doesn't.

Carrie is basically PKed for what she's done she was given a second chance, just like Richard's being given a second chance, she messed up and paid the price so that comparison doesn't work. People have been kicked out of the group for showing that they are a threat or dangerous to the whole. People have been killed who have cause major trouble. If you can show an actual place where we play favorites OOC, truly, we'll look into it. But remember, playing favorites can absolutely happen IC, it's a human flaw characters have.
Can0fs0da12

Postby Can0fs0da12 » Tue Oct 31, 2017 1:34 pm

ZergHunter wrote:
Can0fs0da12 wrote:
ZergHunter wrote:

Carrie is basically PKed for what she's done she was given a second chance, just like Richard's being given a second chance, she messed up and paid the price so that comparison doesn't work. People have been kicked out of the group for showing that they are a threat or dangerous to the whole. People have been killed who have cause major trouble. If you can show an actual place where we play favorites OOC, truly, we'll look into it. But remember, playing favorites can absolutely happen IC, it's a human flaw characters have.
Ok.

Again, not hating OOC but honestly you try doing Take this piss RP.

It's honestly fucking boring, ecspecially when you've tried to help the group but in the end you get the blame.

Yeah, Richard has fucked up but he has tried to redeem himself but at the end he get's the blame and the blames led him to insanity.

Taking the Piss RP is only bareable for so long dude.

Anyway, I'm getting off topic.
ZergHunter
Site Admin

Postby ZergHunter » Tue Oct 31, 2017 1:59 pm

Can0fs0da12 wrote:
ZergHunter wrote:
Can0fs0da12 wrote: Sorry, I mean I agree Richard fucked up but he seems to be the only character you punished. Sorry if I come off as an asshole but I'm going to be assertive. It kind of does seem like you play favorites.

Ok.

Again, not hating OOC but honestly you try doing Take this piss RP.

It's honestly fucking boring, ecspecially when you've tried to help the group but in the end you get the blame.

Yeah, Richard has fucked up but he has tried to redeem himself but at the end he get's the blame and the blames led him to insanity.

Taking the Piss RP is only bareable for so long dude.

Anyway, I'm getting off topic.
While I understand that it's not the most fun to be in the situation Richard's in, but that's a situation he's managed to get himself into. As far as I can tell your main complaints is how things have gone down in the RP itself. If you have something we're doing that's unfair OOCly please let us know we want this server to be as fair as possible to everyone. Richard's in a rough situation, that if dealt with right, he can be fine eventually. But I personally do not see any issues with the situation as it's unfolded in an OOC manner. If you think something related to this was caused by something in OOC feel free to bring it up, though maybe PM it to me as we've ruined this topic now.