Ban Handling is pretty... iffy.

Need to post logs? Contend with an IC action? Those threads go here.
Nyanch

Ban Handling is pretty... iffy.

Postby Nyanch » Sat Aug 19, 2017 4:19 am

Lemme just start off with a preface here. You guys aren't terrible at all. This community is pretty well run in the sense of things, but I still kinda see a flaw here. It's how you handle bans. I've seen this sort of stuff several times on the server where mingers, ESPers, et cetera get banned with the reason 'bye'. We're only usually presented the evidence later about five or ten minutes past the event of it happened, I think. I really think this isn't a healthy way to approach these situations, for two reasons mainly.

First, our population is mainly driven by regulars. People from the staff team and some regular members, Cash, Mossino, et cetera. We shouldn't rely completely on a small pool of people to keep the server pop up, we're gonna need newcomers as well. However, if someone who just joined in sees just the ban reason as 'bye' or something else like that, they're not really going to want to stick around for long, because that's the only context they get of the staff team in action. And I'd like to say that these sort of bans don't happen a lot, but they're the only sort of bans I've seen aside from kicks/bans for 'Minging'. Luckily, tonight is when we've seen the context, so that could obviously slide. But for this one time, there were many where we didn't get the context until a good bit after, and all those times outweigh this once.

Second, this may just be me personally so I can't say this applies definitely to other people, it makes you guys seem unprofessional. You see other servers with ban reasons like: FailRP(x3) | Mingepunching(x2) | Contest ban at www.someforum.com . That sort of ban message, while I'm not saying you have to exactly conform to that, is pretty clear, concise, lays out information to the public as the ban happens due to the context in the reason, and presents the staff team as organized. With just the reason 'bye', it makes you guys come off as... terrible. And I know the staff team here is pretty decent, moreso than some other servers, but I don't want this being the reputation built for the staff on this server, considering how hard you guys work towards this.

Also with the ban reason being 'bye', it's just pretty petty. If you just want to ban them quick just leave the reason unmarked or something.
Legion

Re: Ban Handling is pretty... iffy.

Postby Legion » Sat Aug 19, 2017 4:36 am

The three examples from tonight, as we were more worried about stopping the spam clearly made by the two perpetrators.

// GET CITIZENHACK.MEGET CITIZENHACK.MEGET CITIZENHACK.MEGET CITIZENHACK.MEGET CITIZENHACK.MEGET CITIZENHACK.MEGET CITIZENHACK.MEGET CITIZENHACK.MEGET CITIZENHACK.MEGET CITIZENHACK.MEGET CITIZENHACK.MEGET CITIZENHACK.MEGET CITIZENHACK.MEGET CITIZENHACK.MEGET CITIZENHACK.MEGET CITIZENHACK.MEGET CITIZENHACK.MEGET CITIZENHACK.MEGET CITIZENHACK.MEGET CITIZENHACK.MEGET CITIZENHACK.MEGET CITIZENHACK.MEGET CITIZENHACK.MEGET CITIZENHACK.ME[08/18/17 21:51:42] <STEAM_0:1:55203677> Nate Polreich: // Is this an event? [OOC] The Parasite: Is this an event?[SERVER] [OOC] Nate Polreich: Is this an event?(|G4P| ZergHunter -=DT=-) Chloe Chance has banned Kenneth Frill, permanently. Reason: bye

// EROTIC ROLEPLAYEROTIC ROLEPLAYEROTIC ROLEPLAYEROTIC ROLEPLAYEROTIC ROLEPLAYEROTIC ROLEPLAYEROTIC ROLEPLAYEROTIC ROLEPLAYEROTIC ROLEPLAYEROTIC ROLEPLAYEROTIC ROLEPLAYEROTIC ROLEPLAYEROTIC ROLEPLAYEROTIC ROLEPLAYEROTIC ROLEPLAYEROTIC ROLEPLAYEROTIC ROLEPLAY(|G4P| ZergHunter -=DT=-) Chloe Chance has banned Ken Worthy, permanently. Reason: bye

!kick Cigarello Please try again. (Aka Ken Worthy whos name was Cigarello Trash)

Heres where things get strange...

Two out of three of these people were banned previously on the other iteration for almost the same exact reasons.

I will post what I said on the server after all of this this went down.

Last thing Im going to say, this is a server paid for by zerghunter without community donations that we host for you as a community. And while I prefer to be as transparent as possible. It is up to the admins discretion on whether or not they want to release the information on why the person has been banned. I can assure you that every ban thats been handed out has been just and we dont ban without reason. I also understand this can be upsetting at times, but there are better channels to get this info across instead of crusading through OOC. In the future if you are curious please go through /pm's or steam messages.

As thy 'bye' thing has been used before by others that are not me. I do understand where you come from, but for the most part information is put out. While that info might not be immediate it seems to be put out shortly thereafter.

That being said we will try to be more thorough with our reasoning. Thank you for bringing this up!