Custom Map

These are here for archival purposes only.
ZergHunter
Site Admin

Custom Map

Postby ZergHunter » Fri Oct 13, 2017 1:11 pm

Hey everyone. Some of the staff members and myself were discussing last night the possibility of having a custom map made for our server.

I want you guys in this thread to let us know what you think about the idea. We think having a solid well made map just for us to setup at would be great. This is something we would love to work heavily on with our community to get ideas and the like.

With this, would though most likely become the need for donations for the map. I've seen basic maps ranging for $200-$300, our map will probably not be very basic and would take a decent amount of time and money to create. And as much as I like not having to ask for donations to keep the server up and running, it's unrealistic to try and carry the price on my own, or on the backs of just the admins. So I'd like to know if anyone would be interesting in donating something towards this.

I feel we have a dedicated enough community that is here to stay so long as we keep doing our jobs as admins. I think we'd be able to make this into an amazing community project!

Let's have a discussion about it! Tell us what you guys think!
Emptybag

Re: Custom Map

Postby Emptybag » Fri Oct 13, 2017 1:43 pm

>Obligatory "For just pennies a day" comment, where I remind you any amount would help if you're interested (even though we don't yet have a channel open for such donations).

Money talks aside though, this is also a place for general discussion about what you really like in what maps. Feel free to pull aspects/screenshots/ideas from other past favorites of yours and bring them to our attention. It's entirely possible we don't know what we're missing out on, and much of the discussion with having a map created is reference from existing material.
Can0fs0da12

Postby Can0fs0da12 » Fri Oct 13, 2017 2:21 pm

Maps take a long time to make.

Unless you plan on adding stuff to a map.
Emptybag

Postby Emptybag » Fri Oct 13, 2017 2:29 pm

ZergHunter wrote: our map will probably not be very basic and would take a decent amount of time and money to create.
Yes, this was mentioned.

i understand you don't necessarily know this, but my background is in game design. I have a pretty thorough understanding of the timeframe it would realistically take, accounting for the size, accessibility, and bells and whistles we'd want. And also the fact that hammer is more than a decade old and horrible to work with. And that's just me; but i'm relatively sure most of my partners in the admin team are aware of the lengths of time such things will take.
Spring

Postby Spring » Fri Oct 13, 2017 5:40 pm

I personally like the idea or map change events and stuff. But if that will continue to happen like weekly and stuff, a custom map seems lit my dood
[BLN] Spring/Fixer

Players:
-Chelsie Jasmine
Pierrotthe tallmr14

Postby Pierrotthe tallmr14 » Fri Oct 13, 2017 5:54 pm

Like the idea infact I love it however I agree with can0fs0da12 this will takes long time e to do and fully make the map.
ZergHunter
Site Admin

Postby ZergHunter » Fri Oct 13, 2017 6:01 pm

There's only so many maps we can use before we either run out of good ones or have to start repeating. We're gonna need a map to call home eventually that's just inevitable

We are all well aware of the time it will take to have a map made. We'll be discussing with a few map creators and figure out who's going to give us the best time frame while giving us the best results. We want a good looking, solid map, something that we're proud of. The time isn't an issue in my opinion, We can keep the server going as status quo without the map. We're not gonna just shut down waiting for the map or anything like that.
Spring

Postby Spring » Fri Oct 13, 2017 7:48 pm

There isn't really alot of maps we CAN use, but we can do things like quests.

If anyone watcved the walking dead, rick and his group have the main home called alexandria. T here are different episodes when the group just goes out all Day to scavenge and we can do missions out of the custom map.
[BLN] Spring/Fixer

Players:
-Chelsie Jasmine
Pierrotthe tallmr14

Postby Pierrotthe tallmr14 » Sat Oct 14, 2017 10:42 pm

So the idea of quest I personally show a dislike for after being on other rps that used this I have watched and I think it wouldn't make sense for a epidemic of zombies you could say for scavenging that would be reasonable but anything else would be confusing and tedious with no entire objective besides scavenge and don't forget we will run out of maps to do that aswell so I think if we make a large or at least medium sized map and then if the map becomes over used and players begin to not like it then build another map. Now I understand that this isn't an easy task but you could build multiple maps and stockpile them.
Emptybag

Postby Emptybag » Sun Oct 15, 2017 1:08 am

Pierrotthe tallmr14 wrote: and then if the map becomes over used and players begin to not like it then build another map. Now I understand that this isn't an easy task but you could build multiple maps and stockpile them.
I know you kinda tried to back yourself up at the end there, but 'build another map' probably, most likely, will not be an option. I think there is a gross under exaggeration of either how much money we have, how much money this map will cost, or how much people are willing to donate.
By all means, if we can, sure! But I don't forsee us being able to just...make a grocery list of maps.